Easy ways start moving towardsYou have a picture of what you would like your life to be, and it excites you. The picture of your perfect dream life consumes your every waking moment, and it keeps you up at night wondering “what if?”—but it just seems too far off to ever become a reality. We all want to live the life of our dreams, but so few of us are at that stage in our life right now. We don’t want to fully take the leap into pursuing our passions because we don’t want to lose the security of a steady paycheck, and we’re scared of the unknown. What frustrates us most is we just don’t know what steps we can take to pursue our dream life now, rather than later. What if you could start living your dream life now, instead of waiting until a “better” time—would you take the opportunity then?
Here are seven ways to help you start moving towards your dreams today, instead of waiting until a “better” time around the corner:
1. Realize you’re just as talented and capable as othersWe’re all humans, and we all have our strong points. Find your strengths and capitalize on them to avoid running into constant brick walls, and above all be persistent—that’s key! Your dream life is possible. Reminding yourself of your inner greatness every day you can feel more confident about pursuing your dreams even when it would be easier to stop.
“If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
2. Develop a mantra relevant to your own successMuhammad Ali’s was “I am the greatest,” and did anyone question him? Every morning I wake up and tell myself “I’m a writer, and writers write,” because if I didn’t do it then who would? My mantra helps affirm my belief in myself, which allows me to step into my power and tackle my goals with a newfound energy every day. Each day you wake up, ask yourself where your strengths are, and how they make you great—and use your answers to fuel your path to success.
3. Personalize your life planIn their book Living Forward, Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy urge their readers to develop a life plan that symbolizes the life they want to live and the steps they need to take to get there. By developing a concrete life plan that’s unique to you and your goals, you’ll prevent yourself from reaching burn-out and losing sight of the end-game you have in mind throughout your day-to-day life. You can also review your plan on a weekly basis to remind yourself of the steps you need to take today towards your dreams, as this will help you visualize your own future success and keep you on track.
4. Embrace the power of baby stepsDon’t get consumed by doubt and lose sight of your plan by focusing on the larger scope of your dreams. Instead refine your path and always move forward in whatever ways you can every day, no matter what. Your dreams don’t have to become unwieldy and untouchable, no matter how big they are. Little steps can help you reach your goals even while working a full-time job, regardless of how small they may seem at the time.
5. Always show gratitudeNever forget the precious gift of life, and the possibilities that it presents to all of us every day of our lives. You always need to stay positive and remain thankful for yourself and others around you. This will help you keep a positive outlook when the going gets tough and it can prevent you from losing sight of your goal when you’d rather quit.
6. Meditate on your successesThink about your version of your ideal self, and always think about how you can move your current self closer to your dream goals. What have you done that’s worked for you in the past, and what could you do better in the future? Reflecting on your life plan every day can help you keep a laser-focus on your dreams, especially when the going gets tough. This will remind you of the progress you’ve made towards your eventual dream life.
7. Embrace the power of your ideasYou always have the power to change the world around you, but first you have to step into the shoes that were made for you to wear all along. Your dreams matter, and you can be your dream self if you only try and never, ever give up—because despite your failures, every single step you take towards your dreams are small wins and they never stop counting towards your bigger dream goals. I know you have that one thing that keeps you up at night, deep inside of you. But before you can achieve it, you have to believe in the power of your dreams yourself and know that they’re not far-fetched, despite how far away they seem right now.
“I’m open for possibilities. I’m open for choices. I always welcome new ideas. I’m always eager to learn. I’m never going to close my mind from learning.” – Cesar MillanYou can’t allow the candle of your dreams to burn out, because if you do then you’re admitting they don’t matter.Even if they do burn out, it’s never too late to light them back up again—because despite what people may tell you, your dreams aren’t small or insignificant.